Weeknight dinners are a headache for me. I very much want to feed my kiddos healthy, wholesome meals but I often find myself resorting to junky, easy frozen stuff like nuggets and corndogs. As a health nut, it makes me feel ashamed and defeated sometimes. But as a single working mom, if I can’t find recipes that are super easy and also relatively healthy, nobody in this house would eat! That’s why I was so excited to learn about this easy and delicious Cowboy Casserole recipe from a mom friend of mine. And I wanted to share it with you!
This week, I made this recipe ahead of time and popped it in the fridge until it was time to bake. It turned out delicious! Even my picky 5-year-old son gobbled it up! You could easily substitute the beef for shredded chicken and the cream of mushroom for cream of chicken soup to make an entirely different, but equally delicious, meal!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 large yellow onion
- 5 red potatoes, finely diced
- 1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can corn, drained
- 1 can Rotel
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 2 cups shredded colby jack cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Cook ground beef until brown. Drain the grease.
- In a large bowl, combine the beef, onion, potatoes, kidney beans, corn, cream of mushroom soup and Rotel. Stir until well combined.
- Pour mixture into a 9X13 casserole dish. Sprinkle cheese on top and cover with tin foil.
- Bake in the oven, covered, for 35-40 minutes. Remove the foil and bake, uncovered, for another 10-15 minutes. Let cool for a few minutes before serving.
Super easy and super delicious recipe! Give this weeknight recipe a try and let me know how you like it (or how you changed it up!). I am all about learning new ways to create simple, quick, relatively healthy weeknight dinners that my kids will actually eat.
Leave a Reply