It has been a while since I shared a recipe. I’m not going to lie, I’m not much of a baker. Or a cook, for that matter. I do just fine making yummy meals for my family but being in the kitchen is just not my cup of tea. However, every now and then I get a wild hair up my you-know-what and whip up something pretty freaking amazing. This Coconut & Rum Banana Bread with Lime Glaze is one of those things.
I’ve always been a fan of banana bread. When I came across some overripe bananas in my fruit basket earlier in the week, I decided to make some bread. But I really wanted the banana bread to have a twist. Lately, I’ve been adding coconut and lime to just about everything. Maybe it’s because it’s late summer and the flavors remind me of the beach. Maybe it’s just because I adore coconut and lime. Whatever the reason, I knew this bread needed something special and since bananas are also a tropical fruit, I thought, “Why the heck not?”
And then I added rum because…why the heck not?
So here it is. My wild-hair, end-of-summer, tropical-ish banana bread with a twist (of lime). Enjoy!
Coconut & Rum Banana Bread with Lime Glaze
This post contains affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. You can read my full disclosure policy here.
For the bread:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups mashed overripe bananas (about 3 bananas)
- 3 tbsp dark rum
- 1/2 tsp coconut (or vanilla) extract
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- cooking spray
For the glaze:
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp fresh lime juice
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Mash the bananas in a small bowl and set them aside.
3. In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and salt.
4. In a medium bowl, add granulated sugar and butter and beat with a hand mixer on medium speed until well blended.
5. Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each one.
6. Add mashed bananas, rum, and the extract and blend well.
7. Pour the wet mixture into the flour mix and beat at a low speed until there are no longer dry chunks.
8. Stir in the coconut flakes.
9. Pour batter into a greased 9X5-inch bread loaf pan (I prefer ceramic pans) and sprinkle with more coconut if so desired.
10. Bake at 350° for 60 minutes (it is done when a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean).
11. Cool the loaf pan for 10 minutes before removing the bread.
12. Mix the powdered sugar and lime juice well and drizzle over the warm bread.
13. Let bread cool completely before serving. Enjoy!
Doesn’t it look divine? I guarantee you it tastes as good as it looks. I love the rich flavor of the rum, coconut and bananas of the bread along with the contrast of the tangy, sweet lime glaze. So delicious!
Give this amazing banana bread a try and let me know what you think!
I would have never have thought to put these flavors together, but now I have to try this!
This looks awesome! I cannot wait to try it. I love banana bread so much.
I love banana bread! I really want to try this recipe. It looks delicious!
Yumm! I already love banana bread, and this recipe takes it to a whole other level!