Hey y’all! So it’s already Week 2 of the One Room Challenge and I already feel behind! I have SO MUCH TO DO and I feel like we’re moving at a glacial pace. I guess that’s what happens when you have to do most of the work during toddler naptimes and at night. Lord have mercy, why do I do this to myself?!
Anyway, enough of my moaning. Even though I’m complaining about not getting much done, we did make some progress. Hubby and I managed to removed all of the existing chair rail around the perimeter of the room without breaking it (we plan to reuse it in our re-design)! But, that progress came to a screeching halt when we discovered…wait for it…
TERMITES. OMG, you guys. Let me tell you how fun this was. So, my husband and I had just finished removing the chair rail and we were cleaning up the walls when hubby noticed that part of the drywall behind a piece of the rail just crumbled off. We thought that was strange.
So I looked closer at it and felt around the rest of the area and noticed that the wall had been patched before. The patch did not feel solid at all. I took the tool we were working with and gently tapped on the patch and, you guys, the entire patched area crumbled off the wall! Behind it were gross black grainy powdery stuff and little tunnels and pockets filled with the grainy stuff. Hubby and I stared at eachother in horror. We studied the area, took pictures, consulted with the wise people of Facebook and finally admitted what we dreaded to acknowledge: termites. I could’ve cried.
So, while I’m ranting and raving about having paid $400 for a termite inspection four months ago that came back negative and threatening to sue the pants off the useless termite inspection company, my husband calmly calls some professionals and schedules them to come have a look at the issue and give us a diagnosis. This is how we work, y’all. I start rolling up my sleeves getting ready to jump in the ring and he makes a phone call and calms me down. Thank the good Lord for this man of mine.
As you can imagine, I didn’t want to start painting a wall that we may or may not have to remove later, so all my grand plans for painting this past weekend went out the window. Instead, we took a family trip to Lowe’s and Home Depot (because it’s just too easy for one store to have exactly what we need, right?) to pick up the wood we’ll need to install the board and batten.
I wish I could tell you about all this amazing progress we made, but that’s just not how it went down. Such is life, right? What I can tell you, though, is the termite professional came out on Monday morning and let us know that our damage was from an old termite issue that was taken care of and there was nothing to worry about. GLORY HALLELUJAH!
Oh, and I did manage to consult with the good and trustworthy folks of Facebook and Instagram for their sage advice in choosing a chandelier for the room. These were my two options. The good and wise people of the internet were actually no help at all because the vote was pretty evenly split! Haha! In the end, I chose the chandelier I had originally envisioned for this space (Option A) and I ordered it. It should arrive in a few days!
So that’s it for this week. And just in case you’re curious about my to do list for this project, here’s a rundown for you:
Remove chair rail.
- Repair termite damaged wall (grrrrrr…).
Buy wood for board & batten.
- Buy paint for wall and board & batten.
- Install board & batten.
- Order rug.
- Order bamboo shades.
- Make chair slipcovers.
- Install all the new things.
- Decorate and take pictures (my favorite part!).
Hopefully, I’ll have more progress to report next week. Don’t forget to head over to Calling It Home and check out all the other guest participants in this fall’s challenge!
Leave a Reply