One of the banes of my existence is jewelry organization. I don’t have a lot of jewelry because I don’t wear it often enough. But the jewelry I do have has, up until recently, ended up tossed in a random tray on top of my dresser. Earrings, rings, bracelets, my watch…pretty much everything gets taken off at the earliest opportunity and tossed in the tray. It’s embarrassing to admit because I am a bit of a neat freak, unless you look inside my closets (I’m not the only one, am I?).
This past week, I had had enough of the mess of earrings on my dresser, so I decided to make a quick and easy earring holder. I love how it turned out and it really makes finding (and putting away) my earring so much easier!
This post contains affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. You can read my full disclosure policy here.
DIY Earring Holder
- 1 foot square decorative aluminum sheet (I got mine at Lowe’s)
- 12″ X 12″ shadow box (I got mine at Michaels, you can find a similar one here)
- 12″ X 12″ scrapbook paper (optional)
- washi tape (optional)
- First thing I did was take out all the layers of my shadow box. Then I put the aluminum sheet in the place where the glass used to be.
- Next, I put all the shadow box spacers behind the aluminum sheet, creating about a half inch of space between the sheet and where the back of the shadow box will be.
- Then I added a piece of scrapbook paper on top of the spacers (if your box doesn’t have spacers or the page lays strangely, just used some double sided tape and tape your scrapbook paper onto the front of the shadow box backing).
- Replace the shadow box backing and secure in place.
- Next, turn the shadow box over and start placing lengths of washi tape around the front of the shadow box frame. I eyeballed the length I wanted and then used a pair of scissors to mark the 45-degree corners on the tape, cutting away the excess so that each corner would match up squarely.
- Now just hang your earrings and hang the shadow box on your wall. You’re done!
Wasn’t that simple? I love how pretty it looks with my earrings hanging on it. I also love that I can change out the washi tape if I want to change it up a bit. I will hang this cute little earring organizer in my closet where all the rest of my jewelry will (eventually) be organized. Seeing my prettiest earrings displayed like this makes me want to go buy more (Kendra Scott shopping trip, anyone?)!
How do you organize your earrings and the rest of your jewelry? Any jewelry organizing tips we must know? Please share!
Emily @ Pizza & Pull-ups says
That is an adorable idea!
beth tucker says
great idea! my girls & I are ALWAYS searching for matching earrings.. we will have to do this 🙂
this is such a cute idea! thanks for the fun diy
This is precious!! I love how cute it is and how functional it is!
Corey | The Nostalgia Diaries says
How clever is this! Now I’m thinking of all the other things you could make out of the same materials!
Claire - Heart Handmade UK says
I love this!! I’m going to check out where I can find those aluminium style sheets in the UK 🙂 Fabulous idea
Kristen Jones says
This is seriously such a cute diy plan. It looks so easy to make, too!
This is super cute, thank you! Could make a nice gift idea also for a girlfriend.
This is so cute! I’ll have to make one for my daughter, her earrings are always EVERYWHERE and she would love one of these!
Summer @ Coffee With Summer says
LOVE how creative this is and it’s so practical!
I love this idea! The earring holder is beautiful and it sounds so simple to make. I think I’ll have my daughter help me make one!
This is a really cute idea! I have a lot of studs, so I wonder if there is a way to incorporate a space for them in this design.
Allison| Upright and Caffeinated says
LOVE this!! What a great way to display (and organize) my Kendra Scott earrings! Love your taste in accessories;)