The 4th of July for my little family is quickly becoming one of the most fun holidays we spend together. There is a joy like no other as we watch our two little ones get super excited to sit on the front row of the parade in the morning, go swimming all afternoon, stopping only to down a hot dog or gobble up some fresh fruit, and then falling asleep in our laps as we watch the fireworks light up the sky. It’s an exhausting, but utterly exciting, day, and I love to do little things to make it even more special.
This year, I wanted to make a special fruity treat for my fruit loving kids, but of course, it had to fit the patriotic theme of the day! This recipe is quick and easy, fresh and delicious, and actually really healthy despite how delicious it is.
- 1 carton strawberries, chopped
- 1 carton blueberries
- 1 large apple, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups (or more) vanilla greek yogurt
- granola (optional)
- unsweetened grated coconut (optional)
- 4 parfait cups or glasses
- Clean your fruit and peel the apple.
- Chop the strawberries and apple into small bite size chunks.
- On the bottom of each parfait glass, spoon a good sized dollop of greek yogurt.
- Add a layer of blueberries, followed by a layer of chopped apples, topped by a layer of chopped strawberries.
- Top strawberries with another generous dollop of greek yogurt.
- As an option, sprinkle granola and shredded coconut on top.
- Serve chilled.
Not only is this a great, kid-friendly treat, it’s also beautiful and delicious enough to serve at an adult 4th of July bash!
There are so many ways you can make this treat your own too. Drizzle honey on the top or use bananas as the “white” layer instead of apples (I chose apples because my husband has a severe banana allergy). You can use a coconut or lemon flavored greek yogurt to give it a bit of zing. The possibilities are endless.