I have always been plagued with sensitive skin and it seems to get worse as I get older. Right after law school, my skin epically rebelled and decided that all store-bought products were the devil. I had to learn, through trial and error, what my body was reacting to (petroleum products like mineral oil, paraffin, parabens, etc.) and how to find safe alternatives to my every day products.
During this stressful time, I learned the art of making my own body lotion. Surprisingly, I discovered that it was easy to do, and a whole lot cheaper than buying store bought lotions! Once I started using my natural lotions and body butters, my skin stopped freaking out (even my constant eczema disappeared). I was blown away!
One of my favorite scent combinations is orange and almond. It is a subtle scent; not overpowering like most store bought lotions. And the butters in this lotion are so good for your skin and feels like heaven going on.
Orange & Almond Whipped Body Butter
This post contains affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. You can read my full disclosure policy here.
Making this body butter is really very easy. You’ll need raw shea butter, organic coconut oil, sweet almond oil, orange essential oil, almond extract, a double boiler (or a glass bowl and a pot), and a hand mixer (or a whisk).
First you’ll use a double boiler to melt the shea, coconut and sweet almond oil until the oils are all liquid and combined (I used a glass measuring cup and a pot because it’s the same thing and I’m too cheap to buy an actual double boiler).
Once all the oils are melted, give it a good stir and stick it in a bowl in the fridge for an hour or two to help it become partially solid again. You don’t want it to be hard, just firm.
Now that your oil is firmed up a bit, add your essential oil and almond extract, then take a hand mixer (or a whisk if you love hard labor) and start whipping. When your butter has become creamy and stiff peaks form, you’re done!
These little jars of heaven also make really nice gifts. I like to present them in a mason jar with a cute ribbon wrapped around the lid. Add a little note telling the recipient how to store it, maybe add a loofah and a bath bomb and you’ve got a fabulous little gift!
- 1/2 cup raw shea butter
- 1/4 cup organic coconut oil
- 1/4 sweet almond oil
- 20-30 drops orange essential oil
- 1 1/2 tsp almond extract
- Combine shea butter, coconut oil and sweet almond oil in a double boiler or small pot (you can improvise a double boiler by putting the ingredients in a glass bowl and then putting the bowl in a pot of water, being careful not to get the water in the bowl).
- Melt and stir over medium-low heat until the mixture is liquid.
- Remove from the heat and allow mixture to partially cool (you can put it in the fridge to help the process along).
- Once the mixture is partially set (somewhat firm but not hard), add the essential oil and extract and whip the mixture with a hand mixer or whisk until the butter is fluffy and stiff peaks form.
- Spoon the butter into a glass jar and store at room temperature.