This weekend I finally got around to installing new runners on my stairs. Last September, I had worked my then pregnant butt off to install the first set of runners and by January they were ruined by heavy-footed, clumsy water heater installers. Long story short, I ordered the company who sent the installers to buy me some new runners and they did as they were told. Lucky for me, the runners I had previously installed were no longer available so I had them order the ones that I really wanted but couldn’t afford at the time. So a few months ago my beautiful new runners arrived and I promptly procrastinated and left them rolled up in the corner of my dining room.
Until this weekend. I think the reason why I procrastinated so long is because the first time I did this it took a really long time and it was so physically hard on me. But I was really pregnant and learning as I went. This time was a breeze, comparatively. I knew exactly what I was doing and I also had the benefit of knowing what mistakes I made the first time so I could be sure to correct them this time around. In all, this installation took me around four hours, and that’s including a lunch break.
Next I rolled the carpet over the lip of the next stair and, using a measuring tape, made sure that there was an even amount of bare stair on each side of the runner. With everything centered, I began stapling on the underside of the stair lip.
Slowly and carefully, I continued that process until I came to the second to last stair and ran out of rug. I knew this was going to happen. Each runner was only 8 feet long and I knew I needed at least 10 feet of rug to cover each section of my stairs. That’s why I got three runners.
This is where it gets a little tricky. I stapled the end of the first runner down on the riser. Then I took the new runner and worked from the bottom of the last stair up to meet the lip of the stair where the first runner ended. Using that measurement as a guide I then cut the new runner to the length I needed to make up the shortage.
I then stapled the new runner at the bottom first, and then under the lip of the bottom stair, and then when I got to the lip of the next stair I just folded the cut portion of the runner under and stapled it right up under the lip of that stair.
I had about four feet of the third runner left over so I decided to use it as a throw rug for the landing. Using just some wide linen style ribbon I had lying around, I bound the cut edges of the rug and voila–a new landing rug.
That’s all there is to it! This runner installation went so much smoother than the last time and I think it turned out even better than the first set of runners I had. I love the pattern and color of these runners and the quality of Dash & Albert rugs is superb. I love how it turned out!