And don’t be scared of the sewing part. Look, I hate to sew. I can manage a sewing machine okay, but that doesn’t mean I like to do it. These are so easy, though, so don’t let the sewing part scare you off, mkay? Great, let’s get to it!
DIY Flannel Coasters
This post may contain affiliate links. You can read my full disclosure policy here.
What You’ll Need:
- Patterned flannel fabric remnant (check the scrap bin at the fabric store)
- White flannel scraps
- Sewing machine OR needle and thread
- Pinking shears OR sharp scissors
What You’ll Do:
- Cut flannel into 5X5 square pieces. If you’re making four coasters, cut 8 pieces.
- Cut four 5X5 pieces of plain white flannel for an added layer of thickness and absorbency.
- Place two flannel pieces with right sides facing and then add one piece of white flannel on top.
- Sew all sides of the flannel squares, leaving a 2-inch opening on one of the sides.
- Cut your corners and trim the edges of the squares with pinking shears. Then turn the coaster right side out through the 2-inch opening and poke out the corners with the tip of your little finger.
- Press the square with an iron to make the edges nice and crisp. Be sure to tuck in the edges of the 2-inch opening.
- Now, sew around all the sides of the coaster at the 1/4-inch mark. Repeat for the rest of the coasters and you’re done!
Wasn’t that easy? You can use all kinds of different flannel patterns to change up the look, but I’m really loving this buffalo check fabric. It’s a classic! Make a great gift basket by combining a cute mug, a great bag of coffee and a set of these coasters. It will be a sure hit!
Do you like to give handmade gifts?