My kids love Halloween. They love all the decorations, they love dressing up (all month) and they love the promise of loads of candy at the end of it all. I have to admit, Halloween has become one of my favorite times of year too because of all the fun I see my kids having.
Since having my kids, I’ve started to decorate more for Halloween. I try to make sure that I am not only decorating for me (not kid friendly stuff necessarily) but also for my kids. They love to TOUCH EVERYTHING and a lot of times, “mommy’s decorations” are off limits to them. So it is nice when I can add touches here and there that are strictly for them to touch and play with, like these kid friendly Halloween blocks.
These cuties are quick and easy to make and my kids love to play with them! Here’s how I did it:
Kid Friendly Halloween Blocks
This post contains affiliate links. You can read my full disclosure policy here.
What You Need:
- 4 unfinished wood blocks (about 2.5″ square)
- craft paints
- paint brushes
- sandpaper (I like the flexible kind)
- matte polyurethane spray (optional)
What You Do:
- Start by painting each of your wood blocks a different color. I chose to paint a white ghost, green frankenstein, orange pumpkin and blue monster.
- Let the paint dry to the touch. You may want to paint a second coat if the wood is still showing through the first coat. Let dry to the touch.
- Now begin to paint your faces. I free handed all my faces…honestly, if I can do it, so can you. If you’re not comfortable using a paintbrush, use a Sharpie paint marker! They’re a lot easier to control than a paintbrush and not as messy!
- Once your faces are dry, start distressing the edges and corners of your blocks. I also lightly sanded the flat sides just to give the blocks a bit more of a rustic look. Wipe off any dust.
- Lightly spray with a matte polyurethane coat to seal the paint. Let dry.
- Give the blocks to your delighted kiddos!
I think they’re super cute and my kids love to rearrange them and put them in different places throughout the house. And my daughter loves to imitate the faces! These blocks are a perfect Halloween addition for little ones who love to touch and mommies who love to decorate!
Do you think your kids would love these Halloween blocks?