Apparently, I’m on a wreath making kick because last month I showed you how to make your own inexpensive magnolia wreath, and now I’m showing you how to make your own cotton boll wreath. These are the two most popular types of wreaths in home decor right now, but they also tend to be pretty expensive. I’ve seen cotton boll wreaths on some popular decor sites right now for about $30, but they’re really scraggly, in my opinion. I wanted a cotton wreath that was full but not expensive and I wasn’t finding anything affordable. So, of course, I decided to make my own (are you surprised?) and it’s SUPER EASY!
- 14-16″ grapevine wreath (the best place to find these is at a thrift store! They’re usually covered buy ugly fake flowers and plush scarecrows, but you can tear those off in a jiffy.)
- 6-7 cotton boll stems (I got mine at Hobby Lobby when their floral stems were half price…just keep checking their ads for the right time to buy)
- Hot glue gun and glue sticks
- First, cut each of the individual cotton boll stems off the larger stem, which should leave you with a pile of 3-4 bolls on a smaller stem.
- Starting with a three-boll stem, hot glue it to your wreath form at a diagonal. I actually tucked the end of the stem under one of the vines of the wreath for added security.
- Now take a four-boll stem and place it neatly underneath the first stem. Tuck the end of the stem and adjust the bolls to your liking, then secure with a dab of hot glue here and there.
- Continue in this pattern (three-boll followed by four-boll stems) at a diagonal until you’ve come back to the beginning.
- If you have any stems left, cut the individual bolls off and use them to fill in any bare spots. Tie a piece of twine to the back of the grapevine wreath for hanging and you’re done!
I decided to hang my new wreath in my living room because I love it so much I want to see it all the time. I added one of my hand-painted signs from my shop in the center of my wreath for an added Valentine’s Day touch!
I love how easy this project was and I LOVE how cheap it was (I was able to make it for around $20). This one is going to be a year round part of my decor because it goes so well with every season and I just adore how it turned out!
Do you have a cotton boll wreath in your home? How do you use it in your decor?